Elberty Laboratory for Spatial Analysis
On Saturday, October 28, 2006 the Spatial Analysis Lab in Launders Science Library was dedicated in memory of William T. Elberty Jr., Professor Emeritus of Geology and Geography from 1958 to 1999.
Family and friends spoke at the dedication, which was attended by over 60 people from all parts of the country.
William Elberty graduated from St. Lawrence in 1953 and went on to Dartmouth for a Masters degree which was completed in 1955. In 1957 he completed his doctoral studies at Indiana University and in the Fall he began a 41-year teaching career in Geology and Geography at St. Lawrence. In the early 1990s Bill was the first to use GIS at SLU. He began collecting spatial data with a northern New York focus, established relationships with major GIS software vendors, and purchased hardware dedicated to spatial analysis. His interest in GIS created the platform for the current GIS program. He also introduced many faculty to the uses of GIS. By the time he retired, Dr. Elberty had developed a GIS program that was recognized in the North Country and throughout New York State.